Aachen-Burtscheid
Community ID
 
2445
 
Alternate Names
 
Porcetum
 
Town
 
Porcetum
 
Dedication
 
S. Nicholaus, S. John the Baptist
 
Date Founded
 
1220 (female -- see
 
Date Terminated
 
1803
 
Religious Order
 
Cistercian by 1220
 
Rule
 
Benedictine
 
Foundation Information
 

This community was founded in 983 as a convent of Benedictine monks. In 1220 the community was transformed into a female Cistercian convent.

 
Manuscript Sources
 

The Stadtarchiv in Aachen preserves a manuscript version of the Vita Greg. Porcet. (BHL 3692), from the thirteenth century, owned by Abbess Heilswinda. The Landesbibliothek in Darmstadt holds several manuscripts from the convent: # # 217, Vita b. Greg. Porcet, fifteenth century/ # 769, Martyrol. Usuardi, fifteenth century/ # 863, a Gradual, c. 1240/ # 888, Liber usuum ord. Cist., c. 1210/ # 931, Gradual, c. 1180/ # 937, Collectar. , c. 1470/ # 939, Collectar, before 1218/ # 975, Misc. fifteenth century/ # 1210, Martyrol. Usuardi, thirteenth century.

 
Manuscripts Produced
 

Several manuscripts owned by this community are preserved in the Landesbibliothek in Darmstadt, including several Graduals and martyrologies, etc. (See Manuscript sources)

 
Admin. Notes
 

further research necessary

 
Contributors
 
June Mecham
 
Date Started
 
1220
 
Date Finished
 
1803
 
Length
 
862