Abbenrode
Community ID
 
2446
 
Town
 
near Osterwieck in the Harz mountains
 
Diocese
 
Halberstadt
 
Dedication
 
Blessed Virgin Mary
 
Date Founded
 
1252
 
Date Terminated
 
1554
 
Religious Order
 
Cistercian by 1252
 
Rule
 
Benedictine by 1252
 
Foundation Information
 

This community first existed in 1145 as a community of Augustinian canons. In 1252 it was converted to a female Cistercian convent. The convent was dissolved in 1554 in the wake of the Protestant Reformation.

 
Manuscript Sources
 

The Duke August Library (Herzog August-Bibliothek) in Wolfenb├╝ttel preserves one manuscript from this convent, a Liber precum from the fifteenth century, # 12o Aug. 86. 1 (3840).

 
Secondary Sources
  
Manuscripts Produced
 

Only one manuscript from this convent remains: a Liber Precum held in Wolfenb├╝ttel.

 
Admin. Notes
 

more research necessary

 
Contributors
 
June Mecham
 
Date Started
 
1252
 
Date Finished
 
1554
 
Length
 
531