Amorbach
Community ID
 
2420
 
Alternate Names
 
Frauenkloster auf dem S. Gotthardsberg; Amorbacum im Odenwald; Amarbach; Amerbach; Amorbacum; Gotthardberg
 
Diocese
 
Würzburg
 
Region
 
Lower Franconia, in Bavaria
 
Medieval Location
 
In the Oden forest, in the valley of the Mudau, a tributary of the Main
 
Modern Location
 
About twenty-five miles south of Aschaffenburg
 
Corporate Status
 
Abbey; Double monastery
 
Dedication
 
Blessed Virgin Mary
 
Date Founded
 
714; 1235 (female)
 
Date Terminated
 
1431 (female); 1803 final dissolution
 
Religious Order
 
Benedictine
 
Congregation
 
Hirsau
 
Foundation Information
 

The men's abbey of Amorbach was founded by Saint Pirmin in 714. In 1235 the Benedictine abbey of Amorbach founded this noble women's house at S. Gotthardsberg.

 
Dependency Of
 

a daughter house of the Benedictine abbey of Amorsbach (needs further verification)

 
Miscellaneous Information
 

The last nun of the community was Anna, a sister of Abbot Heinrich of Kunig from the abbey of Amorbach.

 
Contributors
 
June Mecham; Alison Beach
 
Contributors Notes
 

Link primarily talks about the various stories regarding the mishandling of the nuns of the community by the Swedes during the Religious Wars in Bavaria, which, however, he regards as spurious since it seems that the convent ceased to be a female house during the fifteeenth century. Little other information is provided about the convent, and its existence requires further verification.

 
Length
 
815