Andernach
Community ID
 
2438
 
Town
 
Mayen-Koblenz
 
Diocese
 
Trier
 
Dedication
 
S. Stephan (since circa 400); Blessed Virgin Mary, S. Thomas Becket (since 1482/3)
 
Date Founded
 
1129
 
Date Terminated
 
1794
 
Religious Order
 
Augustinian (by 1129)
 
Rule
 
Augustinian (by 1129)
 
Foundation Information
 

This community was first founded circa 400 as a Benedictine community of monks, named Stehpanskloster. This community dissolved or died out in 883. In 1129 the site became inhabited by a group of religious women following the Augustinian rule. The female community was dissolved in 1794.

 
Other Ecclesiastical Relations
  
Manuscript Sources
 

The Landeshauptarchiv in Koblenz preserves several works from the convent, including three miscellanies, written in the fifteenth century, (sine numero). The Stadtarchiv in Cologne holds a Speculum virginum, circa 1150, W 276a. A Breviary is preserved in the Bistumsarchiv in Trier, Abt. 95, 521. The Stadtbibliothek in Trier also preserves a calendar, necrology, and other manuscripts, # 2039/670.

 
Manuscripts Produced
 

Three miscellanies, dating from the fifteenth century, are preserved in the Landeshauptarchiv in Koblenz. A speculum virginum, written circa 1150 is held in the Stadtarchiv in Cologne, and a Breviary from the fourteenth century is located in the Bistumsarchiv in Trier. The Stadtbibliothek in Trier also preserves a calendar and necrology, written in 1319 by Erlindis (presumably an inhabitant of the community).

 
Admin. Notes
 

more research necessary

 
Contributors
 
June Mecham
 
Date Started
 
1129
 
Date Finished
 
1794
 
Length
 
873