Böddeken
Community ID
 
1419
 
Alternate Names
 
Bödecken; Boedekken
 
Town
 
Büren
 
Diocese
 
Paderborn
 
Medieval Location
 
southwest of Paderborn
 
Dedication
 
S. Meinolphus; S. Mary and S. John
 
Date Founded
 
837
 
Date Terminated
 
1409
 
Religious Order
 
Benedictine
 
Rule
 
Benedictine
 
Foundation Information
 

The convent was founded by Meinolph or Mainulf after he received permission in 816. The foundation information is recorded in the Vita Mainulfi, written in the eleventh century, but perhaps based on earlier documents (Heineken, 46). From the vita Hauck regards the name of the founder, the date of dedication (November 10), and the founder's ties to Badurad of Paderborn as reliable (Hauck, 554).

 
Manuscript Sources
 

The archives for the community are located in the Staatarchiv in Münster. A chronicle of the convent is located in the University library in Münster.

 
Published Primary Sources
 

The vita of Mainulf is published in the MGH, Scr. XV, p.211.

 
Miscellaneous Information
 

In 1370 the convent burned. In 1409 the convent was transformed into a community for Augustinian canons by Bishop Wilhelm of Paderborn. Final dissolution 1803.

 
Admin. Notes
 

More research necessary

 
Contributors
 
June Mecham
 
Date Started
 
837
 
Date Finished
 
1409
 
Length
 
916