Bradford-on-Avon
Community ID
 
2780
 
Dedication
 
Holy Trinity?
 
Date Founded
 
1001
 
Date Terminated
 
?
 
Foundation Information
 

This community began when the nuns of Shaftesbury sought refuge from war in Bradford-on-Avon. The king granted them land with the stipulation that some of them remain behind to continue the community when Shaftesbury was safe enough to be reoccupied.

 
Dependency Of
 

Bradford was a dependency of Shaftesbury.

 
Patrons/Benefactors
 

King Aethelred granted land to the community at Shaftesbury as refuge from the Danish wars.

 
Assets/Property
 

In 1066 and 1086, the manor of Bradford which was held by the abbess of Shaftesbury was assessed as having 49 hides of land and as valued at 60 pounds (Domesday Book: a survey of the counties of England, Vol. II, fol. 372r).

 
Architecture & Archaeology
 

A nunnery church with a porticus on the east and a choir with no nave remains. It dates to around 1001 (Church Architecture in the Reign of Aethelred, 110).

 
Relics
 

The remains of Edward the Martyr, brother of Aethelred, resided at Bradford when the nuns of Shaftesbury were taking refuge there.

 
Published Primary Sources
  
Secondary Sources
  
Contributors
 
Ruth Robbins
 
Contributors Notes
 

Foot makes no tie between this eleventh century foundation at Bradford-on-Avon and the later foundation of S. Margaret in the same area.

 
Date Started
 
1001
 
Date Finished
 
?