Braunschweig
Community ID
 
1302
 
Diocese
 
Hildesheim
 
Region
 
Niedersachsen, district Bersenbrueck
 
Medieval Location
 
The community was located before Petritore auf dem Rennelberg (Mons cursorum).
 
Date Founded
 
1230 (circa)
 
Religious Order
 
Benedictine/ Cistercian by 1335
 
Rule
 
Benedictine
 
Foundation Information
 

The exact foundation date is unkown. The community was reputedly founded in 1230 by th knight, Baldwin von Campe. The first mention of the community is in 1241 when it is inhabited by Benedictine nuns. By 1335 the community had become Cistercian.

 
Architecture & Archaeology
 

The community was demolished in a fight between the city and duke Heinrich in 1545. It was rebuilt in 1567.

 
Published Primary Sources
 

Urkundenbuch der Stadt Braunschweig?

 
Miscellaneous Information
 

In 1532 the convent was transformed into a Lutheran girls school. From 1808 on the convent has functioned as a home for elderly women. Rights to the community belong to the consistory in Wolfenbuettel.

 
Admin. Notes
 

Needs more research
Hoogeweg, 15.

 
Contributors
 
June Mecham
 
Date Started
 
1230
 
Length
 
690