degli Angeli
Community ID
 
173
 
Alternate Names
 
S. Giorgio (1333-1349 at location 3 ), via Saint Giorgio / Angelo
 
Town
 
Lucca
 
Region
 
Tuscany
 
Medieval Location
 
Monastery of S. Giorgio, then moved to a location outside the gate of S. Pietro 1349-1404 (see below), then the Hospital of S. Giorgio
 
Modern Location
 
Lucca
 
Date Founded
 
1333 or earlier
 
Date Terminated
 
1404 or later
 
Religious Order
 
Dominican
 
Rule
 
Augustinian
 
Dependent Communities
 

Became a dependency of the Dominican friars after the death of their benefactor, when the Benedicitine monks evicted them.

 
Patrons/Benefactors
 

Guglielmo, bishop of Lucca, moved the sisters to the large male monastery of S. Giorgio (Benedicitine) in 1333. The Benedictine monks returned upon his death in 1349.

 
Assets/Property
 

hospital (Location 1 only), but became wealthy at being restored in 1520 by the nuns of S. Niccolo Nov. (See S. Niccolao)

 
State Of Medieval Structure
 

remains date from c. 1520

 
Contributors
 
WRL Project
 
Date Started
 
1333
 
Date Finished
 
1404
 
Length
 
432