Farewell
Community ID
 
1060
 
Alternate Names
 
Fairwell
 
Town
 
Coventry
 
Diocese
 
Coventry
 
Region
 
Staffordshire
 
Medieval Location
 
According to Elkins the community was founded on the site of an antique male monastery.
 
Corporate Status
 
Abbey
 
Dedication
 
S. Mary
 
Date Founded
 
1140 (circa)
 
Date Terminated
 
1527
 
Religious Order
 
Benedictine
 
Rule
 
Benedictine
 
Foundation Information
 

Elkins sets the foundation date at 1140. It was founded on an antique hermitage. It was probably founded for the usual 13 nuns until 1250. Thompson lists Bishop Roger de Clinton as the probable founder of the community (Women Religious: The Founding of English Nunneries After the Norman Conquest, 221). At the petition of Roger, Geoffrey, and Robert, 3 hermits, and the brothers of Farewell, the church and endowments were granted to a community of nuns there(Women Religious: The Founding of English Nunneries After the Norman Conquest, 27).

 
Notable Heads
 

Serena, the last Abbess in 1248. Prioress established in 1250.

 
Population Counts
 

There were probably 12 nuns and a prioress.

 
Dependent Communities
 

Langley was founded as a daughter house of Farewell (see The Victoria History of the County of Leicester2: 3-5 available online ">http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.asp?compid=38158&strquery=Farewe... [Victoria County History]

 
Assets/Property
 

Bishop Roger de Clinton granted the site and land at Farewell to assart to the hermits at the church of S. Mary and subsequently transferred the endowment, at the brother's request, to the community of women there. His charter to the nuns stated that he granted the church of S. Mary, with a mill, wood, pannage, and 6 villeins who had formerly been his tenants (Women Religious: The Founding of English Nunneries After the Norman Conquest, 196).

 
Income
 

In 1535 the net income was over 33 pounds.

 
Litigations
 

Papal judges delegate decreed in 1209 that the prioress of Langley should be elected by the prioress of Farewell and Langley, and that the mother house would renounce all other rights over the Leicestershire community (Women Religious: The Founding of English Nunneries After the Norman Conquest, 70n).

 
State Of Medieval Structure
 

Very little remained of the original medieval structure in the 18th century. The sole surviving remnant was the parish church, which was subsequently rebuilt in the 1740's.

 
Miscellaneous Information
 

Farewell was terminated prior to dissolution. In 1527 all of the its holdings were given to the Chapter of Litchfield. At this time, all remaining nuns were transferred, one of whom was Felicia Bagshawe, was sent to Brewood nunnery Brewood Black Ladies where she remained until it too was dissolved in 1538. Collections for a History of Staffordshire 83, 104, 155.

 
Admin. Notes
 

[V0353]

 
Contributors
 
WRL Project. Ericka Swensson
 
Date Started
 
1140
 
Date Finished
 
1527
 
Length
 
1436