S. Cerbone
Community ID
 
176
 
Alternate Names
 
Saint Cerbonii / Saint Cerbonio / Saint Cerbonne
 
Town
 
Lucca
 
Region
 
Tuscany
 
Medieval Location
 
At the site of an ancient male monastery, located 2 miles south of the town at the time that the church was dedicated (second half of 9th c. )
 
Modern Location
 
Vaccoli
 
Corporate Status
 
Abbey
 
Dedication
 
Saint Cerbonius
 
Date Founded
 
1149
 
Date Terminated
 
1442 (See Below)
 
Religious Order
 
Benedictine/ Cistercian after 1267
 
Rule
 
Benedictine
 
Foundation Information
 

Umbrina & her husband Zabulino, donation to church of S. Ponziano

 
Population Counts
 

8 + in 1187

 
Incorporated By
 

S. Giustina (See S. Giustina ), in 1442 by order of the bishop of Lucca. The community was given to a male monastery by Pope Eugenius IV

 
Dependency Of
 

Under the cura monalium of the Abbot of S. Michele di Guamo, by order of Pope Gregory IX (1234), who insisted that the community be strictly enclosed

 
Social Characteristics
 

professed nuns, women of the town

 
Assets/Property
 

property was returned to Abbess Cecilia of S. Maria di Pontetetto (See S. Maria di Pontetetto) [c. 1187?]

 
Early Documents
 

1149: founders' donation

 
State Of Medieval Structure
 

buildings destroyed in 1923

 
Contributors
 
WRL Project
 
Date Started
 
1149
 
Date Finished
 
1442
 
Length
 
752