S. Chiara
Community ID
 
2645
 
Alternate Names
 
S. Croce e S. Caterina de Boctacio (before 1492)
 
Town
 
Montefalco
 
Diocese
 
Spoleto
 
Medieval Location
 
13 miles from Spoleto on a hill known as S. Caterina de Boltaccio
 
Corporate Status
 
Abbey
 
Dedication
 
Clare of Montefalco (after 1492)
 
Date Founded
 
1290
 
Religious Order
 
Augustinian
 
Rule
 
Augustinian -- after 1478, the community debated whether to change rules. In 1492, 14 nuns left to join S. Leonardo where they could observe the Franciscan rule. The remaining 3 nuns maintained an Augustinian community under the new name of S. Chiara.
 
Foundation Information
 

Bishop Gerardo of Spoleto gave permission to Giovanna di Damiano, sister of S. Clare of Montefalco, to found a monastery. Elswhere it is stated that Cardinals Napoleone Orsini and Pietro and Giacomo Colonna were also instrumental in the community's foundation.

 
Notable Heads
 

In 1292, Giovanna (see "Foundation Information") died, and NULL became abbess until her death on August 17, 1308. She extracted a promise from fra Niccolo da Prato, Bishop of Toledo, the he not build churches and monasteries 25 "pertiche" from the community. However, a letter of his to the rector of S. Maria di Turri (Montefalco), dated June 4, 1303, states his intention to build a basilica at Clare's request. Later abbesses include Caterina (1460), who was nominated from the monastery of S. Maria, Agnese Languzio della Stella of Spoleto (1465), Ponziana di Stefano (1470), Innocentia (1473), and Chiara (1475).

 
Population Counts
 

9 in 1411; 5 in 1460; 3 in 1492 (see "Rule," above)

 
Dependency Of
 

Bishp Bernardo Eruli made the community a dependency of S. Maria della stella (Spoleto) in 1460, but it regained independence in 1478.

 
Early Documents
 

1290, June 29: the Bishop of Spoleto concedes the Augustinian rule to the commuity.

 
Art & Artifacts
 

The community produced two S. Clare (of Montefalco): one, painted in 1565, hangs in the church of S. Angelo de Gilibertis; the other, finished in the late sixteenth century, is a fresco in the Augustinian church of S. Nicolo.

 
Contributors
 
Suzanne Wemple-Kinder
 
Date Started
 
1290
 
Length
 
1903