S. Chiara di Monticelli
Community ID
 
103
 
Alternate Names
 
S. Maria a Monticelli / S. Miniato a Monte
 
Town
 
Florence
 
Region
 
Tuscany
 
Medieval Location
 
suburbs of Florence, outside the gate of Saint Pietro Gattolini / moved to town in 1254
 
Modern Location
 
Monticelli
 
Dedication
 
Saint Mary/ Saint Clare as of 1219 (needs verification)
 
Date Founded
 
1219 or earlier
 
Date Terminated
 
1538 or later
 
Religious Order
 
Benedictine, then Poor Clares as of 1219
 
Population Counts
 

around 33 in 1234, 7+ in 1428

 
Patrons/Benefactors
 

Pope Alexander IV ordained alms & donation of S. Miniato / Cardinal Ubaldini aided the community in its early years. Privileges were granted by Pope John XXI in 1276

 
Assets/Property
 

The community's first location was destroyed in 1529. New buildings were donated in 1534.

 
Income
 

In 1475, it had a greater income than S. Chiara Prato (See S. Chiara di Prato); Some nuns were transferred by Pope Eugenius IV, but others remained with the original community

 
Contributors
 
WRL Project
 
Date Started
 
1219
 
Date Finished
 
1538
 
Length
 
500