S. Giustina
Community ID
 
166
 
Alternate Names
 
S. Salvatoris / Domini & Sal/ Brisciani / dei Corvaresi
 
Town
 
Lucca
 
Region
 
Tuscany
 
Medieval Location
 
via Saint Giustina (middle of the town)
 
Modern Location
 
Lucca
 
Corporate Status
 
Hospital
 
Dedication
 
S. Justine, after c. 1050 / Saint Salvatore ("Holy Redeemer"?)
 
Date Founded
 
750 or later
 
Date Terminated
 
1808
 
Religious Order
 
Benedictine after 1049 (uncertain before this date)
 
Population Counts
 

6 + in 1193

 
Priveleges & Papal Exemptions
 

1175 (Alexander III)

 
Incorporated Communities
 

S. Maria di Pontetetto (See S. Maria di Pontetetto); S. Martino di Gello (See S. Martino); dell'Angelo (See degli Angeli)

 
Dependency Of
  
Patrons/Benefactors
 

Ermingard & Hda Gisla 1 & Hfa Lucovico 1 / Gisla 2 & Hfa Ludov 2 , 861 / Otto 1

 
Social Characteristics
 

mostly professed nun / patricians of the town

 
Assets/Property
 

received a number of donations of properties & benefices, both rural and urban. This house was very important (received the patronage of a number of Holy Roman Emperors) and extremely wealthy, and attracted members from the most important and wealthiest families of the town.

 
Charitable/Work
 

The nuns ran a hospital at community, and in 1203-30, were building a bridge in the vicinity of community, in order to aid access to the town for pilgrims.

 
Litigations
 

Litigated over property rights with (community #S. Simone e S. Maria), c. 803

 
Art & Artifacts
 

painting of S. Silao (needs verification)

 
Relics
 

S. Silao was buried in the church some time in the 11th century

 
Contributors
 
WRL Project
 
Date Started
 
750
 
Date Finished
 
1808
 
Length
 
748